Piracy

Mwhahaha, I sure love tackling these tricky issues and completely ignoring most aspects of them so that I can talk about them in 2 paragraphs!! Anyway, I added something today called the “Quote of the Day” (wish I’d thought of it sooner…). See it, over there on the left? Pretty cool, huh?

Now today’s quote comes from Markus Persson, creator of Minecraft, and while he is no musician he offers a very interesting perspective on piracy. I would highly recommend reading his full opinion here, but in case you’re too lazy, he basically says that the way to fight piracy is NOT to fight it. People will always pay for quality products if they can get additional services associated with it, such as what Minecraft has done with customizable skins and such.

I really believe the music industry could take a few pointers from the video game industry. Companies like Steam and GOG.com are making a ton of money while offering their customers high quality products at low prices. THAT is how you fight piracy.

This is not how you fight it. Well, I guess technically it is, but it’s not a very good way, is it? It doesn’t do anything towards actually shutting down pirates, and it makes everyone else feel like they’re being attacked for nothing.

Look, I’m not condoning piracy, far from it. In fact, if you’re wondering why pop music tends to suck so much nowadays, I don’t think you have to point the finger much further than piracy. Big record companies are scared of investing in anything new and cutting-edge, since it probably won’t pay very well, and they stick with what they know will sell. And it will sell because the kinds of people who think Justin Bieber is a talented and multi-faceted artist are also the kinds of people who don’t know the first thing about downloading music.