The Arab Spring

Wow things have been messy these past few weeks. In Egypt, the democratically elected Mohammad Morsi was overthrown by the military. In Syria, Bashar Al-Assad has started gaining momentum as the rebels begin to fight one another. And in Turkey, if you want to consider it part of this movement, we haven’t really seen much news lately. Lack of interest? Either way, these past few weeks have been relatively eventful, and perhaps will go a long way in impacting the future of the Middle East.

First, let’s talk about Egypt. I remember very clearly the night of the coup in Egypt. I first read about it on facebook. I turned on the news (in Arabic) and there was the army giving the announcement. Then I noticed the din of car horns, louder and more annoying than usual (which is pretty loud and annoying), so I gathered that these people might be excited about the overthrow of Morsi. I talked with my language partner later, and found out that, according to him, many Jordanians actually supported Morsi. My Saudi Arabian friend had a more condescending approach to the situation in Egypt, noting that it seemed like Egypt really didn’t know what it wanted. Arabs of stable countries view the situation in Egypt, one in which a dictator was overthrown in favor of a democratically elected Islamist…who was overthrown because of his incompetent government, as one in which as less-educated people suffer from their own mistakes.