Let’s take the Train

IMG_3687 Over the past six weeks, I have done a fair bit of traveling within Freiburg, but I also took a trip to Stuttgart for a day. And I rode the train for the first time ever! The process was somewhat stressful because I couldn’t understand the announcements being made over the intercom. I was worried that I would miss my train or it would be late. I asked an attendant which train to get on, and he said I could take the one that was sitting at the platform right then. The odd thing was that it was not my train, but it was going to the same place, so I took it. The trip on the train went fine and I talked to a lovely old lady for a whole hour only in German. We talked about gardening and her children and grandchildren. She was impressed that I did not have a foreign accent and she was very patient because I often did not think very quickly or understand everything she said. I often had to ask her to repeat herself or define a new word for me. She also told me about Baden where she lives and some of the surrounding area. It was a very pleasant chat and definitely helped me be not so nervous. After arriving in Stuttgart, I spent the day with my friend Andrés walking around the city. First we picnicked on several different kinds of sandwiches I had packed and mango. The mango was soft and tasty but quite tangy which I actually quite enjoyed. Then we went in and out of shops with air conditioning, sat in a fountain, and sat in a park all in an attempt to make the heat more bearable. At the end of the day we went shopping and bought a picnic dinner and sat eating it in the grass. There was a little boy chasing the geese around terrorizing them. It was rather adorable. All in all it was a great trip.