4 thoughts on “The Hipster Entrepreneur

1. LOVE this, for three reasons. One, it’s fun to read the etymology of “hip.” In case you’ve never heard of it, back in the 1950s – and even earlier, I think — people we now call “hipsters” were actually called “hepcats.” Part of “beatnik” subculture. Now I know why. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepcat

Second, this article points out that one person’s waste of space is another person’s market niche. Always a valuable lesson.

And third – it’s ALL about the messaging.

• Wow. After awhile, every movement eats its own. (Sorry – bad pun, but it wasn’t intended.) The Masts may have started by “re-melting,” but to be honest, the whole article (and the others it references) sounds like sour grapes to me. These guys had a shtick, and they looked the part, and people loved it. So what? Somebody gives up cars and goes back to selling horses and making buggies, and eventually, someone will gripe that the buggies are too luxe – real 19th century rides were bumpy and uncomfortable. Yeah, ok. I don’t want to celebrate fraud, but I’m not convinced that that’s what was happening here. Additionally, the article makes a really, REALLY good point. It’s wonderful to think back to what we might have loved about a “simpler” age (had we been there), but an awful lot about life – and that goes double for food – is better and safer now.