Day 5 (Wednesday, July 28): Las Cruces to Alamagordo, NM: The Perfect Day

San Agustin Pass

Beautiful Scenery

Today was another perfect riding day. We started off with a climb out of Las Cruces and made our way to >5700 feet, through the San Agustin pass, and then it was pretty much downhill from there. We rode hard today to work off our big dinner last night with the Notre Dame El Paso Club. Temperatures rose to high 80s, and, for the most part, we had a tailwind! We passed through White Sands National Monument, where white gypsum sand dunes glisten in the sun. Close by was the White Sands Missile Range, where rockets and missiles are tested. We also passed the Holloman Air Force Base, where fighter jets flew overhead. It was just a perfect day for riding. Tomorrow will be our biggest climbing challenge of the ride, as we leave Alamagordo and travel to Mayhill.

Last night at the El Paso Notre Dame Club dinner someone asked me: as a science dean: “What is your passion?” The answer comes easily: entrepreneurship. I am not just talking about starting a new enterprise. I am talking about the pursuit of opportunity, idea generation and value creation. These aspects of entrepreneurship permeate our teaching and research mission in science. We have an undergraduate course in entrepreneurship in which students take a piece of intellectual property from Notre Dame Science research and translate it into a value proposition through business and innovation planning (I will be co-teaching this class again this fall). Last year, we launched a new Engineering, Science, Technology, Entrepreneurship Excellence Master’s program (ESTEEM), in collaboration with the College of Engineering and the Mendoza College of Business. The ESTEEM program enables science and engineering graduates to create value out of intellectual property at Notre Dame, engage in innovation and entrepreneurial practices, and learn high technology and business principles from that perspective. Through the generosity of the Edison Foundation, we also launched an innovation postdoctoral program in which fresh Ph.D. graduates perform their postdoctoral training on projects with translation value. With Innovation Park as an outlet for our inventions and discoveries, we hope that our findings, both basic and translational, can be turned into products, therapies, and societal and human health value. Some of the students in the entrepreneurship program do their projects on rare disease research.

5 Comments so far

1.    Jen Adams on July 29th, 2010

Renate and Greg-

Way to go!!! I am so proud of you both and so happy to read that the rides are going well. Stay strong, I pray for you both everyday.

Jen

2.    anneke on July 29th, 2010

Renate and Greg We are very proud of you and pray a lot for you with lots of other friends and fmily Love Anneke

3.    Debby on July 30th, 2010

Renate and Greg,

We are so proud of you!

Many people have asked me “How and why do they do it?”. I reply, “I do NOT know how, but what I do know is that my sister has NEVER given up on anything that she feels strongly about”. And Greg is the most determined (and likely most competitive) person I know. The why part of the question, I defer to the Website.

“Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal”.

Lots of love and strength,
    Debby and family.

4.    ally on July 30th, 2010

mom and pops,

GOOD JOB! im very proud of you. good luck!
    i love you

ally