Day 26: Delta, UT to Ely, NV

This was the worst day ever, in all of my five years of biking on the Road to Discovery. This was definitely the most challenging day I have ever had.

We rolled out of the parking lot at 3 a.m.  It was a bit windy, but coming off the best day ever, I was optimistic this would be another wonderful day.  The sunrise was spectacular, but as the sun came up, things started to deteriorate.

Day 26-1

The heat was scorching in the desert and the wind was a sustained at 20 mph with 30 mph gusts as a head wind.  The wind was so strong that my downhill terminal speed was about 15 mph and climbing with a head wind had my speed in the single digits all day long.  There are a lot of wind farms in the deserts and when you see those, it will either be a really good day or a tough one, depending on which direction you are riding.  It was a long, long day.

Bill, a Notre Dame alumnus and Ryan a rising Notre Dame sophomore who is also a member of the cycling team rode with us today. It was great to have them there on such a challenging day.  Thank you, Bill and Ryan, for joining us.  I am so tired from the ride that this will be short blog today.

Day 26-2

2 Comments so far

1.    Sara Kassen on June 22nd, 2015

Hang in there Greg!

2.    John McGreevy on June 22nd, 2015

Incredible, Greg. Hang in there! Near the end….

John