Counteracting “Fake” Information: “Web Literacy for Student Fact Checkers” By Michael A. Caufield

As the Fall semester is picking up momentum and many of my students are doing the research required for papers and multi-media presentations, my work as an Information Consultant in Africana Studies & Education has had some interesting moments.

One particularly issue is the idea of what is fake news, and as an undergraduate and graduate researcher, how can I avoid bad information in my work?

One of the tools that became available in the Summer of 2017, is a Creative Commons, e-book entitled, “Web Literacy for Student Fact Checkers” by Michael A. Caufield. 

As critical consumers of information, I remind my students the importance of experiencing the research process as an exercise of their critical thinking skills. They are the generation of students who are wholly engaged “digital natives” to which information is available to them in a 24-7 environment. This can be overwhelming, and the challenge is discerning what is good information for the kinds of content they are creating to add to the ongoing scholarly conversation of their topic.

Undergraduates have tremendous opportunity to collaborate with their professors in research, scholarly publication, and scholarly presentations. As an “Informationist”, I am fortunate to collaborate with students and their professors to hone the skills needed in our digital information world.

Onward & Upward!

Leslie L. Morgan, Associate Faculty Librarian for Africana Studies & Education, Hesburgh Libraries-University of Notre Dame

Be Sociable, Share!

Author: Leslie L Morgan

Leslie serves as the Africana Studies and Education Librarian within the Hesburgh Libraries.