Musings from a Librarian – Facilitator’s Notes, Summer-2012

June 14, 2012: Just finished day three today, and I have to say, it has been some of the most amazing couple of days; the students are fully engaged and learning how to utilize their creativity and innovative thinking.  I did a piece at the Hesburgh Library on Intellectual Property and Copyright for my 7th grade audience, and I was careful to make sure that I put my presentation into their understanding.

Thank goodness for examples such as: Harry Potter Books & Movies, Coke products, mash-up music innovations like LMFAO and Justin Bieber or Little Wayne to bring home this point. We reviewed a couple of You Tube videos to get a sense of how children (their peers) are examining Innovation and Creativity from various countries and how Technology plays a major role.

Our final activity of our time together: Students were asked to review magazines, newspapers, etc. They had to find images, words, advertisements, that speak to a possible invention that they could enhance or create.  What incredible inventions & design ideas they came up with using their blank-page journals. Once this activity was done, each student had to present their idea to everyone present in the library classroom. Everything from a shoe, to air-bag safety measures while flying a plane. Powerful! All of the adults in the room were speechless!

These young people representing what’s great about South Bend.  They are capable to help the adults in our community define Innovation as it relates to the “Silicon Valley of the Midwest” could be in this community. I am grateful and humbled to be of service to these amazing 7th graders!

Leslie L. Morgan, MLIS – Associate Librarian, Hesburgh Libraries-University of Notre Dame, E-Mail: lmorgan1@nd.edu