Reading 02: Job Jumping

As I prepare to make the move to the west coast, I constantly hear the phrase “Oh, what a good thing to do while you’re young!” The attitude most people have towards my decision to move west reflects my attitude towards job jumping. I think job jumping can be great! I agree with the articles that discuss how job hopping can increasing your pay and your value as an employee. However, I think there is a point where we must draw the line.

My personal career path is headed towards one dream job, but there are multiple potential paths to get there. The job I have already signed for is not my dream job, but it is a great place to start out and I feel very lucky to have the opportunity. I think if I do not change companies after a few years, I will most likely at least change teams within the company to diversify my skills. Otherwise I may change companies a couple times and work on making myself a better candidate for my dream role. However, once I feel ready to apply to my dream company I am not sure I could see myself wanting to be anywhere else. Maybe I would consider switching teams or divisions within the company, but I think if you are happy with where you are at, why change?

I think job jumping can be fun and exciting when you are young and chasing money. It keeps you engaged and satisfies your need to continue learning more and pushing your self to become better. It can also help you increase your own value as an employee. I recently talked to a woman who loved her job at the smaller company she was working at but felt she was not being paid enough money, so she moved to a new position at a big tech company, and then her old company offered her much more money to come back after a year or so. It is unfortunate that some companies do not realize what they are missing until it’s gone, but good for this woman to finally be paid what she is truly worth by the company she most enjoyed working at.

I do, however, feel there is a point in life where job jumping will lose its value. One major flaw to job jumping is never staying at a company long enough to fully vest your stock options or retirement. People will lose out on so much money by leaving companies before they earn their full potential of stock or before they are eligible to receive and keep their companies 401k matching policies. Another flaw not staying long enough to earn a promotion. I think being promoted within a company can say a lot more on your resume than seeing you work the same role at two different companies. There is also a point in your life where you will have important things that require a little more stability, like a spouse or children. When a family is involved in your decisions you have to think more about switching locations or jobs, along with switching health and insurance plans. You also might want a more stable job that requires less outside time so you can spend more time with your family instead of constantly needing to spend outside of work time interviewing, preparing for interviews, emailing recruiters, applying to new jobs, and learning the skills required for a new job.

Company loyalty is another fear with job jumping. I have already told one story in this blog where switching jobs ended up being a good idea for someone and allowed them to return to the company she previously worked for and still get the raise she deserved. In that situation, she showed loyalty to the company, but it seems unfair to her that the company did not just pay her what she deserved in the first place. While I do see how company loyalty can look good on an resume, I also think it is fair to have the understanding that just as I can be let go at anytime from a company, I should be able to leave at any time for any reason as well.

Non-competes and NDA’s are tricky. I understand from the company’s point of view that they would not want a former employee using their former companies ideas and tools at another competing company. However, as an employee, I feel I should be able to seek employment at another competing company if I feel I am being treated unfairly at my current company. For example, if it were someone’s dream job to work on e-commerce, but they were being treated unfairly in their current e-commerce position, it seems unfair to tell that employee that for the next year and half they can not work at their dream job, or use the skills they know how to use best, just because they are afraid of their secrets being traded between companies. It seems unethical to restrict someone from working in a job that they love for selfish reasons.