Writing00: The Responsibility of a Coder

I love the idea from the reading “Programming, power, and responsibility” that power is granted to one by others and thus should be used to benefit those who granted it. One cannot be powerful without other people stepping back and consenting to that authority and influence. This idea of the responsibility of investing your power in those who gave it to you is directly mirrored in the Parable of Talents where three men are given different amounts of talents and two return 200% while one returns none and stashes away the one talent given to him, for “safe keeping.” I believe in the Catholic Social Teaching Framework that says it is in our actions that we can do what is right, and that they have to be moderated in a special way for them to be ethical. Courage, prudence, and humility all make up ethical justice because using these together will make a person benefit both themselves and others. To practice these virtues one could think about how important each human is. “Life and Dignity of the Human Person” is at the core of Catholic Social Teaching. Every life matters and should be cared for as if it was your own. To care for others, use your God given talents, your “Rights and Responsibilities,” as you are called to “Family, Community, and Participation.” I think it makes a lot of sense to serve each other and to be held to that as was expected in  Parable of the Talents. Everyone has different talents, so the only way to better yourself is to bring together yours with others’ and make a bigger impact that way. There are other Catholic Social Teaching subjects, but I will go on now to relate this to computing.

If someone using your data compromises your dignity then it is unethical for that to be happening in technology and every individual has the God-given right to block anyone from seeing what could negatively effect how they see them self as a person. Dignity comes first. It is what gives us the courage to act and the prudence to make wise decisions and the fortitude to stay strong in our values and make the most change we can.

To be ethically responsible, a hacker must think of the dignity of the users of their technology. According to the readings, the users are who give the hacker the power, so it is only right that the hacker optimizes the ethicality of the technology for the user. They should take into consideration how their software will effect their users and ensure that it would not compromise their God given talents and their fortitude to use them.

Now to talk about me. My talents of bringing people together have been squandered at Notre Dame, in contrast with my business life where I am an integrator who helps people get along and brings ideas together. At Notre Dame, it is evident that many people want small groups and little exploration. Although, through working with these different-minded people, I think I have developed better teamwork and grit. I just wish people here were more open to new things. I do not think it is unethical though for them to be closed off, I am just an idealist that wants everyone to want to explore just as much as I do, if not more. I do strive to understand people better though and see where they are more prude and humble than me. This will help me better my actions as I will pool together where those whom I admire draw the line and thus I will follow in their footsteps, because Jesus is just too ideal of a mentor – I need some more concrete examples of how to serve God and humanity justly at this time.