Feed on
Posts
Comments

Connectivism

Connectivism is another educational topic that gets a lot of press but not so much deep discussion. It is best for me to leave description of the concept to the go-to guy, Stephen Downes.

It is possible that I suffer from complete failure to understand the concept but it does seem to me that there is a relationship between Downes’ description, “This implies a pedagogy that … seeks to describe the practices that lead to such networks, both in the individual and in society (which I have characterized as modeling and demonstration (on the part of a teacher) and practice and reflection (on the part of a learner)” and Merrill’s First Principles of Instruction, Numbers 3,4,5: 3. Learning is promoted when new knowledge
is demonstrated to the learner., 4. Learning is promoted when new knowledge is applied by the learner., 5. Learning is promoted when new knowledge is integrated into the learner’s world.

Any thoughts on this?

2 Responses to “Connectivism”

1. Joel, thanks so much for your comment. Your article offers great practical advice and organizes the First Principles in a way that makes them easier to understand and apply. The lesson plan template is especially helpful. I recently gave a workshop for librarians about The First Principles and could have used that template for a handout. I hope to be offering more sessions on these concepts so I will surely be using it in the future.

I agree that a clear focus on authentic learning may be the link between FPI and Connectivism. It occurs to me that the element of self-directed learning is also universally important.