What We’re Reading Today: Gethsemane, Biblical Observations, and a God of Surprises

Anthony OleckAnthony Oleck

MTS Student, History of Christianity, University of Notre Dame

Contact Author

1) Jason Baguia, over at Dappled Things, on peace in Gethsemane:

Kate, whom I happened to meet when I sat by the garden on one such day confirmed what I had begun to suspect. A spirit of discord has possessed many of the youngest kids in the Terra Sancta. She had come over from Hamburg in Germany, and before that, from Ukraine, her home that she preferred to keep from the spotlight if conflict alone drew to it the world’s eyes and ears.

Passing through one of Jerusalem’s narrow, pilgrim-smoothened pavements, she walked into a group of boys at play. When they noticed her, they all motioned as if to kick her in the rear. It did not really matter, she told me with a smile and hand wave. Oh, if only she did not share the story after I recounted to her how some of the boys chilled my own spine.

2) America Magazine’s Joan E. Denton on scientific observations from our biblical ancestors:

Our Hebrew ancestors wrote the Bible informed by their observations of creation. Because their reflections on God were written within that context, they possessed a wisdom about the material world that can be amazingly accurate. Through three examples from the sciences of chemistry, astronomy and physics, we can see that even though they lacked sophisticated modern technology, our Biblical ancestors were keenly astute in their perceptions and descriptions of creation. Such renewed respect for the authors of the Bible can inform and strengthen our faith in God as Creator.

3) Notre Dame professor Phil Sakimoto writes in Ethika Politika on the ‘God of surprises:’

Writing in the New York Times two physicists, Adam Frank of the University of Rochester and Marcelo Gleiser of Dartmouth College, explore the idea that physics has moved beyond the point at which empirical verification is possible or even necessary.  The debate, as they describe it, arises from suggestions by some physicists that we should “set aside the need for experimental confirmation of today’s most ambitious cosmic theories — so long as those theories are ‘sufficiently elegant and explanatory.’”

I understand this position.  I love a good theory.  But I don’t agree with it.sakimoto

Be Sociable, Share!