Project 02 Reflection

Link to project: Project 2

For our second project Jack Myers and I made an interview prep document. I think the most important part of the document was regarding what to do before the interview. Nobody ever really told me what I should be doing to get ready for interviews junior/senior year, and I kind of had to figure it out on my own. I think Mendoza gives their students great resources as far as how to do company research, what kind of questions to prepare for, and how to prep for interviews in general.  On the other hand, my experience has been that engineers need to find all of this information out for themselves. Most of the advice I got for interviews didn’t come from Notre Dame at all but from my Dad. The best piece of advice he ever gave me was to go into interviews looking to see if the company is a good fit for you as much as if you’re a good fit for them.  By turning the tables like this you convey more confidence, and also get a much better feel of the company you’re interviewing.

I think preparing students for interviews should be a significant part of college curriculums. After all, whats the point of learning so much information if you can’t land a job to apply that knowledge? This is something the engineering college needs to wake up to. I think that maybe there should be a required freshman class that goes over things like public speaking, interviewing, and things of that nature. It may not be a lot, but at least students will have some knowledge which they can build on in future years.