Sliabh liag.

While we spend a lot of time practicing Irish (we generally go from 10 to 5 and then meet again in the evening for one last session), I have been spending all of my free time hiking, as you will no doubt have already noted if you have been reading this blog. Today I took my favorite hike. Ever. I have backpacked up and down the Appalachian Trail (more on this in a minute), and I have yet to see anything this stunning. Sliabh Liag is known for its cliffs which are some of the highest in Europe. I would describe the beauty of it, but it could only be done as Gaeilge and my language is not strong enough to even try. So instead, I will focus on the practical benefits of hiking for learning the language. Just like all of the road signs in Ireland, trail signs are all in Irish and English. I was able to stop at the trail head and read the rules and information as Gaeilge and then check my comprehension with the Bearla side. Bhí mé ceart, den chuid is mó. I learned the name for a Peregrine Falcon is fabhcún gorm, which was important as I saw one. Right on the other side of these cliffs.

As promised, a word on the Appalachian Trail. It turns out, the trail has been extended. Quite a bit. There is a theory that the hills in Northern Ireland were once part of the Appalachian range during Pangea. Now, the an International Appalachian Trail committee is reuniting Donegal with Canada via paths. Considering I have spent a lot of time hiking the AT, especially in Virginia, and a lot of time reading about the hills of Ireland, this bit of information brought two disparate parts of my world together. Maith thú, international AT committee!