Second Host Family

The program has officially ended. And just like before, I wanted to dedicate this post to my second host family.

Before I left for Narita Airport, I didn’t expect to cry. I felt like my bond with both my host families was more respectful than anything. And because my time was separated between two host families, I didn’t have the full two months to be attached. At least I thought so.

But I am so glad that I met both of my host families. They were both very welcoming and kind and different in their own ways. I played a lot more with the children in the previous host family but rarely did with the second. However, second semester was way more hectic than the first as deadlines were approaching and a faster learning pace was adopted.

Nonetheless, my second host family did their best to accommodate with my busy schedule. We went to see the famous night view of Hakodate. It was ranked the world’s top three most beautiful views.

It was a crowded, chilly night. But definitely worth it. It was so beautiful.

Another weekend, we went camping with other families. The children played in the nearby river while some adults watched them and others made rice curry. It was delicious! I really love eating rice curry. There’s not a lot of spicy food in Japan, but I prefer sweet curry instead.

We also visited cafés and local cake shops together. The cakes were cutely decorated and so soft and sweet. I already miss these sweets.

My second host family was incredibly nice. They always drove me to the station every morning because the bus came super early. Because my close friend lived 5 min away, she was also able to come with us. My friend’s host family was in the same area, so we became really close and had an ending party.

It was really sweet that they came together. And it was actually my friend and I’s plan to have our host families become friends. I hope they can maintain their friendship even after the program. They have similar personalities and wonderful hearts.

I already miss my time in Japan. I never thought I would be so attached to the city, my classmates, and my host family, especially since it was only two months. But being able to have these feelings just mean that everyone was precious. I will never forget this experience. Thank you so much to my second host family <3