Celebrations in the Streets: Fútbol and LGBTQI Pride

For my second post, I’d like to share a couple instances where the people of Lima have taken the streets for celebration while I’ve been here. First, I saw that the frenzy of soccer matches comes close even to what I’ve seen in South Bend following football. Second, I’ve learned that Peruvians take the street not only for sports but also for social justice and dignity.

On June 18th, I headed to a small bar near Kennedy Park to catch a soccer match between Perú and Bolivia. It seemed that practically everyone in Lima watches these American Cup soccer games, whatever their age or gender. To my alarm, even the Uber drivers watch the games their smart phones as they drive.

The large crowd, packed into a small martini bar and sipping on beers and pisco sours, roared with delight as Perú’s captain Paola Guerrero scored his team’s first goal. I’m not much of a sports fan, but even I got swept into the excitement as we all stared at the relatively small television screen hanging above the bartender’s head.

When Perú won the match, 3 to 1, celebration broke out and fans rushed into the streets. Fireworks, banners, and costumes sprung seemingly out of nowhere. A group marching in the streets chanted “Perú!” each several seconds to the beat of a catchy drum roll.

I went yesterday to observe Lima’s 18th annual LGBTQI Pride parade. Thousands of rainbow flags filled the streets.