A Taste of Strasbourg

Since Paris is so gastronomically diverse, I decided to set out and find the unique dish of a different region of France. While on a day trip to Strasbourg, an Alsacien town bordering France and Germany, I started seeing signs for “Tarte Flambée” on every block and street corner. I explored the canals and the famous church in town before sitting down to taste this Alsacien dish. I asked the waitress what tarte flambée was and what it was made of. She explained that this regional dish is similar to a thin crust pizza but is traditionally topped with thin pieces of bacon, onions, and white cheese sauce instead of tomato sauce. She said there are many variations but the most important part is the texture and thinness of the crust. You can separate the good from the bad if the crust can crunch while still remaining extremely thin. 

Tarte Flambée-Banana and Chocolate variation 

I looked around and saw that pretty much the whole restaurant was eating the tarte flambée whether there was one person at a table or six. The waitress explained that because of the beer and wine drinking culture of the Alsacien region this pizza type dish was very popular for sharing and socializing. Many people will enjoy local beer or a glass of wine after work with colleagues while they pick at a tarte flambée before getting on the train home. She said this dish is the quintessential dish of Strasbourg because it represents the history of how French and German culture have combined over the years in this tiny town due to exchanges of power.

Cathédral Notre Dame de Strasbourg