Rafael Borges, Fair and Assertive Behavior

Many of my students already knew the meaning of the word aggressive but did not know other take ten vocabulary words like passive and assertive. None of the students could explain or give examples of the words passive or assertive yet many examples were provided for the word aggressive. Some of the examples were really mean and violent. After my partner and I finished the lesson, I felt that the students reflected on their new knowledge and understood the message being taught.

One strategy that has been effective in the classroom is asking examples of conflict at the beginning of every meeting. Then, we ask for other examples of how to deal with conflict at the end of the lesson. Their way of thinking through the conflict is very different at the end of the lesson than at the beginning. This shows me that they learn something during the time that we are in the classroom. I hope that they act out what they learn. This will allow them to be better people and influence others as they grow up. Take ten is very helpful to them. If they keep having this influence throughout their childhood, they will be able to manage conflicts better and non-violent ways of thinking will be natural to them as adults.

This entry was posted in Take Ten Volunteers. Bookmark the permalink.