Take Ten prepares team manager for future career as a psychologist

By Liz Ledden, Take Ten Team Manager and Volunteer

I hope to become a psychologist and Take Ten has certainly been a pivotal experience in making that come to fruition. I truly do not think you can know fear until you are standing in front of a class of kindergarteners with twenty minutes left to the lesson and no activities left. Likewise, you do not truly know how skilled you are at thinking on your feet and how creative you are until you are forced to fill those twenty minutes with educational activities you facilitate on the spot. Having to scramble at the last minute so that you are not playing Heads-up Seven-up for the remaining time is not only exhilarating but provides something unique to talk about in graduate school interviews. Planning a lesson for Take Ten requires careful management of the provided time and accurate predictions of the students’ attention spans. This serves as perfect practice for my future psychology hypotheses.

I am interested in studying early childhood development and volunteering withTake Ten has given me experience in teaching kindergarteners and second graders, as well as sixth graders. The younger grades have provided me with multiple thesis and dissertation topics such as the development, or lack thereof, of subtlety when sharing information with strangers. No, I do not need to know everything your mother bought from the grocery store yesterday nor does your sister want you divulging her dating history. Listening to the students I have taught, I am always lost in wonder at what can possibly be going through their heads after some of the things they say during the Take Ten session.

In addition to the children preparing me for my future as a psychologist, managing multiplestudent teams at different schools and solving the issues that arise provides me with plenty of advising practice. Whether it is helping teams plan their lessons or intervening when troubles arise, the management of Take Ten teams requires careful advising, trouble-shooting, and conflict-solving. Through my experience as a Take Ten manager, I feel fully prepared to manage my future research teams and my future therapeutic sessions.

From my Take Ten experience, I’ve learned skills that will help my future career as a psychologist, therapist and researcher. If my future plans do not go as planned, mainly if I do not get admitted into graduate school, I have learned how much I enjoy teaching younger students and would definitely consider a modified career path as a teacher.

This entry was posted in Take Ten Team Managers. Bookmark the permalink.