Second Essay Assignment

When it comes to preserving human dignity, Peter Singer is more humane than the Catholic Church!”

My goodness, you’ve seen something almost like this quotation before!  I have only refined  it by adding one key word.

Please write a tightly focused essay in which you take a stand in support of or against this proposition.  In particular, I am asking you to focus on what it means to preserve human dignity.  Your position and the counterarguments against it must be crystal clear.  This assignment is meant to accomplish two things: 1) to challenge you to dig even more deeply into your assessment of the subject matter; and 2) to challenge you to hone your skills of persuasion even further.

In other words, I am once again asking you to write the best paper you have ever written in your life, even better than your first one.

My usual observations, cautions, and rules apply.

You are writing one paper, not two papers. Be sure to answering this question and not some other question you would rather answer. Address counterarguments directly. Explicitly refer to evidence from your two primary readings: Singer and the selections from the Vatican’s Compendium. Be concise and to the point.

When referring to your readings, feel free to use any simple citation form (e.g., author and page). It is fine to use short quotations, but indicate why you are using them. Quotations do not speak for themselves.

Remember the Shaker hymn: “ ‘tis a joy to be simple . . .”  State your argument boldly; justify it in a logical fashion; when you are done, stop.

The Honor Code to which you have affixed your signature applies!  Since you have already discussed this topic with your classmates, please figure out your answer by yourself. Your essay and argument must be absolutely, completely, and unmistakably your own.  Also, dare to visit the Writing Center.  If I were in college, I would do so because I know there are always ways to improve my writing.

As with your previous essay, this assignment is both straightforward and challenging. Happily for you, you have already given considerable thought to the topic.  This also means that you are more aware of the serious pitfalls of taking one side over the other. I will take this into account in evaluating your essay. Thus, I recommend that you begin writing and re-writing immediately.

Please observe the following rules without exception:

Your essay should be no more than 4 (four) typed, double-spaced pages (12 point font) of careful reasoning. It should also have a carefully-chosen title. Don’t forget to put your name on it.

Your essay should be in Word format (no PDF or any other mysterious format). Please use the following structure to name your document: [your name].secondessay.doc  (Some of you forgot to do this in your last essay).

Your essay is due by Friday, April 3, at 9:00 am.  (Yes, you may send it in earlier.)

Please send your paper to me by email.

Good luck!

AJM