I’d like to thank the avocadamy…

After winning the first annual University Communications GuacOff, I’ve been asked to share my guacamole recipe. It’s very simple!

• 6 Avocados
  • 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1/2 large tomato
  • 1/4 yellow onion
  • Juice from 1 medium, fresh-squeezed lime
  • “Some” cilantro, to taste, maybe 2 Tbsp; chopped fine
  • Sea salt

Before peeling the avocado, I give it a firm massage. No, seriously! You can feel the flesh inside the fruit kind of “give” as you press on it. After that, you slice it in half and remove the pit. The massage will have loosened the fruit, and you should be able to very easily squeeze or scoop it out, depending on your preference for mess.

Next, you’ll want a fork to mash and stir the avocado. I tend to like it “mostly very smooth, with a few chunks.”

Everything else is basically added to taste. I chop the onion and garlic up as small as I can manage, and stir those in first to let the flavors start to blend in with the avocado as soon as possible.

The tomato needs to be chopped up smaller than you probably expect, or else the large chunks of tomato will dominate the guacamole. Furthermore, too much tomato or too large of chunks are hard to dip into with flimsy tortilla chips.

Next comes the finely chopped cilantro. Cilantro is a very controversial ingredient choice: some people absolutely hate it, others love it. At parties, I’ll often make two batches, one with cilantro and one without.

The last thing I do is squeeze at least one medium lime into the mixture, and sprinkle about 2tsp of sea salt over the bowl. I think sea salt is quite a bit tastier than table salt, and the large crystals add a nice surprise to the texture of the guacamole.

Mix it thoroughly. Taste it. It probably needs more sea salt or lime juice. Add what you need, taste it again. If you can let it sit for a little while, it’ll get better as the flavors meld, but it’s also OK right away. If you’re going to let it sit, cover with saran wrap and press it firmly against the guacamole, lest it turn brown with oxidization.

Serve to friends, Romans and countrymen with chips, tacos, beers, and steaks.