Playoff Hopes Extinguished

That's Ama're

Picture Source: http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/amare-hand-injury.jpg

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBtz5eunCY

The Knicks are all but out of the playoffs at this point, and though they have had a plethera of injuries recently, I can only focus on the perhaps the most idiotic move of all time.  Of course, I’m referring to Amare trying to pick a fight with a fire extinguisher after the Knicks’ Game 2 loss.  Needless to say Amare lost the fight….badly.  Since everyone else has reacted to it, I thought I would throw in my two cents.

To those analysts who feel that it was nice to see a sign of intensity and care from a player, I would argue that its impossible for an NBA player not to care about a playoff game.  The playoffs define a player’s career not regular season games.  And while we’ve all gotten angry and maybe even done some done things, like throwing a camera (e.g. Ron Artest), we regret, its inexcusable for a player to put himself at risk to injury outside of the court during the most/only important part of the season.  While intensity is great, this proves that a player has to keep it under control in order to be effective both on and off the court.

Amare does owe the fans, his teammates, his coach, and his owner an apology.  And I feel that he should even have to forfeit some of his salary or pay the team back int he form of a fine.  He cost the owner revenue by jeopardizing the Knicks’ chances to have further home games and jeopardized his team’s aspirations.  The Heat should be asking Amare what he wants in return because if he would have been on the court, the serious could have turned in New York’s favor.  If I were a member of the Knick’s organization, Amare would have played his last games in a Knicks’ jersey after an incident like this.  Though the argument can be made that last season he almost singlehandedly but New York back on the basketball map until Carmelo joined him, this incident trounces any prior success.  One injury doesn’t define a player’s career but one stupid moment can — again look at Ron Artest.

This injury derailed the Knicks and deflated the team.  I realize Stoudemire feels bad, but this injury is unforgivable in my book.  It shows why some people feel athletes lack maturity and ultimately gives a previously esteemed player a completely different reputation.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.