First Essay Assignment

At home in South Bend.

Although South Bend is now universally recognized as one of the most cosmopolitan, action-packed places on earth—indeed, a coveted vacation destination for all!—my social calendar has slowed a bit in recent weeks.  Thus, I decide to host a dinner party.  I invite my two close friends, Paul and Ringo, as well as my newest friend, you to join me.

At first, my party is going quite nicely and the conversation is very civilized.  But then, I make a mistake.  In a modest effort to liven up the discussion, I bring up a much-discussed topic in the news.  “What do you think,” I ask, “about the current wave of populist politics that is sweeping across Western liberal democracies?  Is this a good thing for democracy?”  Paul responds without a moment’s hesitation.  “Of course, it’s a good thing,” he declares. “the populist wave has brought new energy into our entire political system and forced us to confront issues that have too long been ignored. The more populism, the better.”  At first, Ringo seems to mull over the point calmly. Then, he leaps at Paul. “Well, my old mate,” he says with scarcely concealed disgust, “populism his been the worst thing to happen to liberal democracy in this century. If this wave continues, liberal democracy will never survive.”

I am shocked at this sudden outbreak of animosity between old friends.  Fearing that I will alienate both of them if I take sides in the debate, I happily pass the buck to you. “Well, my new friend, who is right, Paul or Ringo?  And please don’t waffle on your position.  They want a clear and unambiguous answer, and they want it now!”

Assignment:

Please respond to this question by taking a firm and unequivocal stand on who is right, Paul or Ringo.  Feel free to use any of your course readings (e.g., Kingdon, Mill, Mudde) to justify your argument.  Do NOT undertake any additional reading or research.

We have designed this assignment to teach you while you are thinking and writing. These skills will be important to you throughout your college years and beyond.

First, we are challenging you to make and defend an argument. A persuasive argument always involves two considerations: 1) a clear statement of where you stand and why; and 2) an explanation for why you are taking this position instead of the rival one. As every good attorney, climate scientist, and football coach knows, a successful argument or strategy is always based upon anticipating the counterargument or counterstrategy that someone could raise against it.

Second, we are challenging you to drive to the heart of a significant issue and not to drift from one point to another. Thus, it will not be sufficient for you simply to describe what you have read or heard. We are asking you to demonstrate that you truly understand the issue.

We will evaluate your essay according to three criteria: the clarity and consistency of your argument; your use of readings, lectures, and discussion sections to back up your points concretely; and, importantly, your demonstrated ability to think for yourself.  Remember:  if you are not sure what you are saying, we will not be sure what you are saying either. Explain yourself and do so in the clearest possible fashion!

NOTE:  There is no single, correct answer to this question.  Feel free to make any argument you like. We are not judging your personal political persuasion. Rather, we are interested in your ability to make a convincing argument.

When referring to your readings, feel free to use any simple citation form (e.g., author and page). It is fine to use short quotations, but indicate why you are using them. Quotations do not speak for themselves.

Finally, don’t forget the Shaker hymn: “ ‘tis a joy to be simple . . .”  State your argument boldly; justify it in a logical fashion; when you are done, stop.

The Honor Code to which you have affixed your signature applies! It is fine with me if you discuss this assignment with your classmates. However, your essay and argument must be absolutely, completely, and unmistakably your own work.

Some words of advice.

Read this assignment closely the moment you receive it. At first, it may seem complicated. But if you allow its elements to percolate in your head, you will find that they all flow together.

Do not put this assignment off until the last moment. If you do so, you will not be a happy camper and neither will we.  Write a first draft, put it aside, then re-read and write some more, etc.

Requirements and Deadline
: Your essay should be no more than three (3) double-spaced, typed pages (12 point font). Do not forget to put your name on it. Please follow all of these guidelines closely. You must turn in your essay to your TA no later than 12:00 noon on Friday, February 15. Late papers will be docked 1/3 of a letter grade for each day they are late. To give you time to focus on the essay, we will not hold discussion sections on Friday, February 15.

Good luck!  AJM