And we danced with Macklemore back in 2009, letting loose our teenage angst on the dance floor. A few years later and a few years older, we find a slightly more mature Macklemore. After partnering with Ryan Lewis, releasing a few singles, and securing a solid YouTube presence, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have released their first LP, The Heist, leading with “Ten Thousand Hours.”

The album is already on the charts, so tune your ear to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis because you’re sure to hear them among the post-midterm, celebratory blasting of music. Moreover, The Heist may become the Man On the Moon of the next generation, and by next generation I mean the same one -3 yrs. Yeah…no it won’t reach Man On the Moon level, but you can still make the comparison.

I suppose “Ten Thousand Hours” serves its purpose as an intro song while alluding to work ethics or whatever, but I wouldn’t say it’s top charts worthy. I mean, fine, he got a cool tattoo that reads ten thousand hours―wait did I say cool?

Anyways, although Macklemore’s lyrics are sometimes daft or overly preachy, if you play the music loud enough and just focus on dancing you can ignore whatever moral he’s trying to get across (okay, fine, Music for Marriage Equality (“Same Love (feat. Mary Lambert)”) is a legit message…and sobriety…I guess #yolo, too―whatever).

While skimming the rest of The Heist you’ll recognize titles whose music videos are already released on YouTube by Ryan Lewis, namely “Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)”―”aaaw, he got the Velcro’s,” see music video below―as well as “Same Love (feat. Mary Lambert),” “My Oh My” and “Victory Lap.” So only like half of tracks are new, but among them you can easily find a favorite to jam with friends to, such as “Thin Line (feat. Buffalo Madonna).”

Rife with feats, rap interludes, and unassumingly good beats, The Heist is host to dance-ables (“Castle”), pump-ups (“Can’t Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton)”) and some mellow gems (“BomBom (feat. The Teaching)”). Honestly, in the end, The Heist is well done and Macklemore’s raps are solid. So yeah, I’d thrift with Mack & Ryan.

About Nicole Stark

Nicole Stark, co-editor of social media for the Dome Yearbook, is a freshman hoping to study business-marketing and poly-sci. Stuck in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole adapted the habit of escapism through music and art which led to the practice of forming arbitrary opinions which are most likely wrong.