Hey all! These are your two newest full time Dome staffers (Jack Magiera, Boss of the Internet, and Maggie Bowers, copy editor) checkin’ in. We just finished our midterms and we’re getting ready to go home for fall break.

That being said, we thought this would be a good opportunity to reflect on the first half of our first semester of college life.

Classes:

Jack: The classes were substantially easier than expected, I guess. It’s definitely a more relaxed environment than high school, and I must admit it took a couple of weeks to get used to the fact that I didn’t have to ask to leave the room or anything. Unlike high school, where I could cruise through classes without doing much work, a sense of work ethic is really necessary here.

Maggie: I always feel like I’m doing something wrong, because I don’t have hours upon hours of homework.  The real key is organization. I get all my work done when I come back from classes; I plan theses and outlines for papers ahead of time, and go to TA’s and professors for office hours and advice. Finding people in your classes to study with is also fairly easy. The only problem is that when I get done with my work, everybody else is still working. A big part of why I work so hard is because I did the same in high school; however, I don’t do a million activities like I did in high school, so I find myself with this thing called ‘free time.’ It is slowly being taken over by yearbook, though…

Dorm Life:

MB: I grew up with three brothers, so the idea of living with only girls all the time scared me at first, but I’m really starting to like it. Someone is always there to offer advice on clothes, paint nails, and there seems to be an abundance of Disney movies and baked goods. Not to mention you can always do laundry together. What I feared would be disastrous is actually turning out to be a teenage chick flick, and it is kind of fun.

Jack: This was actually easier to get used to than I thought it would be. Surviving college dorm life pretty much requires just taking care of the basic necessities of life: hygiene, laundry, having enough Easy Mac… you know, the essentials. It also helps being in the best dorm on campus (Keough) and living so close to the important places on campus: SDH, Reckers, etc.

South Bend:

MB: Alright, so honestly, there’s nothing that great about South Bend. The only time I was off campus was to visit my older brother. Who goes to South Bend?

JM: Okay, so I haven’t really experienced South Bend so much. Everything I really need is on campus, and occasional Meijer runs can get the rest. It’s funny seeing everyone already complaining about the cold weather; as an upstate New York boy, I can’t wait to see what Indiana considers “lake effect snow”.

Football:

JM: I went to a high school where tailgating and student sections were huge, but nothing prepared me for the excellence that is Notre Dame football. Leaving your last Friday class early because even your TA is too distracted to care. Cars and grills as far as the eye can see. Alumni slugging back beer and telling hysterical stories about “the good ol’ days”. Cheering until your voice gives out, and then rasping as loud as you can for three more quarters. There’s nothing in the world quite like Notre Dame football, and it’s definitely the best part of my college experience so far.

MB: Go ahead and laugh, but I did not like football until I came to Notre Dame. When you’re here, how can you not love it? Along with our fantastic season so far, the student section is so entertaining. The cheers, the dances, the songs, The Shirt, and singing the Alma Mater at the end of each game…it is so much more than a game.

Parietals:

JM: Parietals weren’t a big deal to me at all, having come from an all-male high school. I’m used to seeing dudes all day and I really don’t have an issue with seeing only dudes after midnight in the dorms. Plus, there’s always Reckers if you want to keep the party going.

MB: Everybody likes to complain about parietals, but they aren’t all that bad. Sure, it can be inconvenient, but mostly it is nice to know that after midnight I don’t have to worry about running into random guys in my hallway. Dorms are about experiencing new things, but it is still nice to know there are times when you can be by yourself.

Yearbook:

JM: I was the editor of my high school yearbook, a job that involved a lot less writing and designing and really just required knowing people and not making an ugly book. It was definitely a change when I decided to work for the Dome because there’s suddenly a method to the madness. I’m given assignments to cover and spreads to design, and there are plenty of people to hang out with and free food to eat. It’s a tough job, being Chris Milazzo’s slave, but it sure is rewarding.

MB: I was also editor in chief of my yearbook, as a junior and senior, and I knew I wanted to get involved. The system is different from what I’m used to, but it is all a part of adjusting. The best part is starting over as a freshman. We get stuck with everything the upperclassmen don’t want to do. It really is a lot of fun, I promise!

What we should have done differently:

JM: bought fewer bro tanks from clubs I didn’t end up joining, managed my flex points so I didn’t go through half of them by the third week of classes.

MB: gone to gym class registration early; not stayed up until five am writing my paper for film; learned faster that Starbucks is everybody’s friend.