Blog Post #3 – Striped Shirts and Baguettes

Tonight, over the finest of French cuisine, pizza, I discussed with my host father American stereotypes. He started by stating the belief that everything was truly bigger in America: the buildings, the food, and the people. He noted, while he was growing up, that France looked at the USA with all of its innovation at the time and he noted the impression that American advancement had on Europe. He said back then it was a different feeling than today, now that Europe is on even footing technologically. He added another stereotype mentioning that the American perspective is often too introspective and not global-minded.

When reflecting on his comments, I saw the merit of the examples he gave. They are neither good nor bad, in my opinion, just differences. These stereotypes highlight cultural change. Things being bigger in America can absolutely be a negative thing, but. admittedly, while abroad, I wish I was getting those American-size portions for meals and endless refills of water. For my own auto stereotypes, I have been coming to grips with the lack of a global perspective that comes with being American. When I speak French, it often surprises me because many Americans do not take the time to learn the language. I have had to dissect that often  US mentality. I believe it can be both good and bad. We live in a big enough country, where travel is often national, and not international, which is an incredible blessing. That said, there is a deprivation in world studies that would greatly stimulate and improve the American intellect.

In Conclusion, I was so thankful for this conversation because it was an exchange. We ended with a laugh about how I do not fit the stereotypes of many Americans. I do not look like the square-jawed classic American, and I am globally minded. However, I do eat a lot, we concluded this after I polished off the second pizza.