D.I.V.E – ing In

Buenas Noches! I’m writing this post after a busy weekend in La Fortuna. I traveled with four other ND students who are here with the ND Bridge program. On Friday we traveled from San Jose to La Fortuna– about a four hour drive. We got there pretty late so we went right to bed for an early start on Saturday. Our first item on the agenda for the weekend was to visit the Arenal Volcano. This volcano is recently dormant with its last eruption in 2010. We hiked around the volcano for a bit and then went to a waterfall and the hanging bridges near by. After the volcano, we went to a river that is heated by the volcanic chambers under the earth. It was so beautiful to see and to chat with tourists and locals at this ecumenical place.

Today we started by hiking to the La Fortuna Waterfall we journeyed into a valley basin to see this and it was breathtaking. We swam around in the streams before heading back to the bus station for a long bus ride back to the city.

For this week’s post. We are supposed to apply the D.I.V.E model to a critical incident. My incident involved our taking a taxi while in La Fortuna. While in the taxi, the driver started asking us questions. As a rather new taxi rider– I come from Nashville, a city where transport like this is not popularized– I was already nervous about the interaction. When he asked us where we were from, where we are staying, how we had enjoyed our time so far, I was very reluctant to give away all that information. In my mind, I was protecting us from being stalked or harmed by giving such information to a stranger.

Now applying the D.I.V.E model to this situation–

Description– In one of the famous red cabs of Costa Rica, a taxi driver asked us questions about us and our journey so far.

Interpretation– In the moment, I was creeped out by these questions. I saw this as pestering us for personal info that is important for our safety. I was in a new setting that was already uncomfortable for me, adding that the conversation was in Spanish with a man I had never met, I am sure that my nerves were running high.

Verification– There is not much I can verify here. And this will probably bleed into my evaluation, but I think that my cultural perception was challenged/ not verified.

Evaluation– Looking back I think my initial response was a reflection of my uncomfortableness with the situation. I now think that being over-friendly (or at least what I would consider over-friendly) is just part of Costa Rican culture and interactions. People show care and interest by asking these types of questions. I now realize that my reaction– although good to protect oneself and their group– was too protective. It would not have harmed me to just make light conversation with this driver or to share a bit about our journey so far.

I am entering the last week here in Costa Rica and have mixed emotions. I’ll be sure to keep y’all updated. Adios!