Call for Faculty Stories: Mango Languages

Mango Languages is a language-learning software which teaches practical conversation and valuable cultural insight for new languages. Using an encouraging, conversational style, Mango offers 70+ languages, including many which are less commonly taught such as Haitian Creole, Cherokee, Punjabi and Thai. Mango Languages is available free to all ND faculty, staff and students.

Perin Gurel, assistant professor of American studies and concurrent assistant professor of gender studies, recently took advantage of Mango. “I was interested in learning Farsi because my research involves Iran,” says Gurel. “I found Mango really easy to manage and enjoyable. I like that it had the Farsi script in addition to the sounds (unlike other paid learning software, such as Pimsleur). I recommended it to one more person who is using it for Turkish. It seems to be working well for him, especially the focus on pronunciation.”

Now it’s your turn: If you’re a faculty member who uses Mango and has found it valuable for your teaching or your research, we would love to hear from you and include your story in an future edition of this newsletter. Questions can be directed to the Center the Study of Languages & Cultures via email at cslcstaf@nd.edu, phone 574.631.5881 or visit the CSLC at 329 DeBartolo Hall.