Q: Do I need an Indiana driver’s license?


I am an incoming graduate student from out of state. Do I need to get an Indiana driver’s license and vehicle registration? Thanks!



According to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, only those who claim legal residency must obtain an Indiana driver’s license or vehicle registration.  As stated on their website:

For the purposes of obtaining a driver’s license, learner’s permit, or identification card, the following persons living in Indiana solely for any of the following reasons are not considered to be residents of Indiana:

  • Educational purposes
  • Active duty in the Armed Forces
  • Temporary employment

If you plan to become a legal resident of the state of Indiana you can learn more about obtaining your license and registration online at: http://www.in.gov/bmv/2341.htm