Feed on
Posts
Comments

Grace Hopper

Grace Hopper is a true inspiration for all Americans. Her accomplishments stretch from receiving multiple honors in the military, including becoming a Rear Admiral, to creating some of the most essential technologies of our generation. She was gifted since a young age and never allowed her gender to prevent her from reaching her goals. Hopper was able to breakthrough into a male-dominated world of STEM and make incredible contributions to the young world of computing. She also was an iconic leader in the Navy and helped the Department of Defense make huge improvements their computer systems. These achievements are astounding as they are admirable and Hopper’s impact is still felt in our world today.

Today women and minorities across the world are following Grace Hopper’s lead to not only breach the STEM industry but also make an impact that will last into future generations. These groups often have difficulty in doing this because of systematic disadvantages and unjust discrimination. White males have dominated STEM because when many major technological breakthroughs occurred in history, they were the ones with the most and first access to these innovations and as a result were more likely to increase the gap with other groups by furthering innovation themselves. Currently, there has been a noted effort by industry and colleges to promote underrepresented groups in these fields. This is very important because we are all capable of success regardless of our race or gender and should have equal opportunity to fulfill our potential. Grace Hopper and others blazed a trail not soon to be forgotten in the industry, proving exactly this. As a minority, it is our duty to uphold and promote the image of minorities in STEM and prove that I am as capable as anyone and deserve to be on the front lines of innovation.

In my life I have had several role models who have inspired me. One day I hope to set an example for someone looking up to me, because I know what affect it can have on someone’s belief. The person who inspired me the most and proved to me that I can succeed in STEM is my father. He was born in Haiti, grew up in Puerto Rico, and moved to the United States to attend college. After several years studying and mastering his craft, my dad became a dentist and opened his own practice in South Florida. He was the only person of color in his dental school graduating class but he did not let that affect him. He never allowed himself to be outdone or discredited. My dad was able to build his own career against all odds and has now been successfully practicing for almost 30 years serving clients of all backgrounds. He has shown me how to use his diverse background as a benefit, communicating in multiple languages with his patients throughout the day. My dad has been extremely successful and enjoyed his career working as a doctor. I’m proud to call him my father and for following his dreams. Thanks to him I believe I am able to accomplish anything I set my mind to.