Day 8: Elyria, OH, to Holiday City, OH

This Memorial Day was a day to focus for me – to focus on the biking against probably the strongest crosswind and headwind I’ve ever faced, and to focus on remembering the brave men and women who have gone before us. We had a beautiful start in the early morning with a gorgeous Ohio sunrise, and the sun just kept getting hotter all day. The strong wind was whipping the abundant Memorial Day flags in a way that really got your attention along the whole route, more than 150 miles. The bike ride stopped in Holiday City, a little village in far northwestern Ohio. I drove into Toledo for an interview with ABC News about Niemann-Pick, and why we’re doing this ride.

Memorial Day is a day for remembering the soldiers who have fought to keep us safe and free, and the flags that stood out in the wind were an inspiration to keep that in mind all day. With my head down against that wind much of the time, I found myself also remembering the brave boys and girls that have fought Niemann-Pick—the Parseghian children, whose memory constantly inspires us, and also the beautiful children we met last year on the ride, along with their brave and generous families who are our partners in this fight. Every one of them is an inspiration to keep up this battle, no matter the challenges, until we have reached the victory—the cure.

1 Comment so far

1.    Christina Smith on May 30th, 2012

Cindy Parseghian was speaking at an ND Women Connect Reception in New York City and told us all about your cross country adventure to support the fight against Niemann-Pick Type C. New York is with you and your crew, Greg!