Day 10: South Bend to Chicago

After a great night’s sleep in my own bed, we left from Granger at 6 a.m.  Renate made a fantastic breakfast for us before we took off. We were surprised to see Captain Carter from the University of Notre Dame Naval ROTC stop by the house with his two kids bright and early. The kids had made signs, which I brought with me in the van. I also had the chance to ride my bamboo bike from Zambikes this morning.

Capt. Carter and his kids with Greg and Emma

The ride to Chicago was pleasant – windy and cool, but uneventful, which was fine because we had plenty to do in the city.

We visited with the Chicago Red Stars professional women’s soccer team, which includes many former Irish players. It was great to see the team – they gave us a terrific welcome and all signed the van. Having teenage daughters myself, I really think these women soccer players are great role models for young girls in athletics.  It was a pleasure to meet them all and see such a big ND group playing in Chicago. After the ride, I will come up to catch a few games. I am so excited to see them play later this summer.

Former Irish soccer players

Former Irish soccer players

We also stopped in at SRAM to see Jeff, a Notre Dame alumnus who has been with the company since it started. SRAM makes biking components, from shifters to sprockets to carbon fiber rims.  My bike is outfitted with all SRAM parts.

Sean, Jeff from SRAM and Greg

We took a tour of all the great innovation going on at the company while my bike was getting a needed little tune-up after 1,000 miles on the road. SRAM took good care of me. After the tune-up, the bike is running perfectly.

This evening, Brad and Al organized a dinner with two of my science advisory council members, Sam (class of ’74), Denis (class of ’67), and Phil (class of ‘74). We had a great meal at Mon Ami Gabi and wonderful conversation.  Everyone signed the van.

Science Advisory Council

What a great day today!

No Comment