Day 24: Craig, CO to Rangeley, CO

Today was a wonderful ride, marked by contrast. We started in Craig, where there is still a lot of green, and ended in Rangeley, which is a beautiful desert. I just love the desert landscape. We saw some pronghorns that live out here. We could see them off in the distance moving around, but they never got too close to us.

Pronghorns!

A reporter met us on the outskirts of town to hear our story. The last three days in Colorado resulted in 20,000 feet in cumulative climbing, 350-plus road miles, and more than 50-degree temperature swings from morning to afternoon. It has been a wild ride all along, but especially in Colorado. It’s tough for somebody who lives in Indiana to acclimate to this altitude. Only today have I started getting used to it. Living and training in the South Bend area, there’s only so much you can do – training at altitude and uphill are two things that you cannot simulate. But the trainers at Knollwood did a great job getting me ready for this journey. With fewer than 1,000 miles to go and single digit days left to ride, I will be excited to see everyone in Pebble Beach.

Today as I rode through the long, vast stretches of desert, where at certain vantage points you can see the road going on for tens of miles, I really felt like I was on the Road to Discovery. In his keynote address at the NPC conference, Dr. Marc Patterson suggested that we think of our effort as a journey. We have come a long, long way, especially in recent years, and research is making the road ahead ever clearer. I can identify with that image. We face our headwinds, our rocky roads, our steep uphill climbs, and sometimes we get to see how much progress we have made and gain confidence that we are going to make it to the goal. Those NPC children and families are counting on us to find a cure. We are committed together to reaching that finish line.

2 Comments so far

1.    wendy chioji on June 14th, 2012

looking forward to seeing you tomorrow in kamas!! “Growing Bolder” and PCTV and me. 🙂

2.    Julie Flory on June 15th, 2012

Dean Crawford, you are an inspiration to us all! Cheering you on from back home. Stay safe.