Hopping the Tracks

“It’s time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby, the grass is growing
It’s time to move on, it’s time to get going”

“Time to Move On” – Tom Petty

Effective July 1st, 2012, I will be joining the Digital Library Services Department at the Hesburgh Library at the University of Notre Dame.

Over the past three years, I have assumed primary development and maintenance of Conductor and worked on several other projects – most notably the ND Campus Map and the OIT Site Redesign implementation.

I am stepping away from a team of remarkably creative, passionate, and professional friends.  During the past three years, I have had the wonderful privilege of watching a team grow and further develop into creative leaders on campus and beyond. We have all pushed ourselves to continually improve what it is we do.

I am stepping into a team that is growing and shifting focus as they work to guide Library Services into an emerging highly digitized and cross-referenced environment. I will be working at process improvement amongst the developers, mentoring, and contributing to Open Source projects (i.e. https://github.com/projecthydra/).  I’m certain there will be other interesting projects that I will work on as well.

I am excited about the opportunity to work day-to-day with several other developers…many of whom I’ve worked with before at my previous job – as of July 1 there will be 4 Lightsky alums working at the Hesburgh Library. In working with other developers, my goal is that we all grow our craft and become passionate and pragmatic programmers.

An interesting bit of trivia, the day that I started at AgencyND was they day that I was scheduled to have my first face-to-face interview at the Hesburgh Library – there were a lot of vacations and conferences that pushed my initial Library interview back.  Instead of taking a chance that I would get the Library position, I opted to take the position at AgencyND – a decision that was right for me at the time.  Instead, my former and soon to be again co-worker, Dan Brubaker-Horst got the position.