Why I Pad

The public’s demand for instantaneous news, commentary and sources has led journalism to take hold of social media and run. Journalists often acknowledge that they interact with one another on Twitter far more than they do with the public. More than interacting, though, they compete. The first to have the story and tweet it, wins.

It follows then that journalists need constant connection to the web. They need it to check facts, to log stories on their respective sites, and, of course, to disseminate their findings through social media. As a journalism student, understanding the process of journalism and having the ability to track it as it happens provides invaluable insight into how news is reported and why the story never seems to be complete. The iPad fosters this kind of learning through apps like Flipboard to keep on-the-go students always plugged in.

From the first “BREAKING” tweet to the publication’s headline and link, the facts inevitably change. Of particular relevance is this summer’s CNN & Fox News flop when the two outlets proclaimed that the United States Supreme Court overturned the Affordable Care Act under the logic that the individual mandate was unconstitutional. We now know that Chief Justice John Roberts’ opinion was that the individual mandate as a penalty was unconstitutional but as a tax was a reasonable exercise of the United States Congress’ powers under the commerce clause. But at the time, viewers watching the two sources had the wrong facts, all because of the desire to have the story first, a preference that results from the use of social media and smart technology.

This summer I was able to follow the Supreme Court ruling on my iPad while also watching CNN and it was enlightening to be able to watch the various media outlets flounder on their Twitter feeds and live broadcasts. I have had an iPad since March 2011 and I have found it an invaluable resource in my work as a journalist and as a student. As a journalist, I appreciate the connection it gives me when I am out and about (I do not have a smart phone). As a student, it enables me to stay connected as news breaks between class periods and to view the stories of multiple news sources at once, instead of flipping through stacks of newspapers or PIP on my TV (I don’t have PIP anyway).

While I don’t think that smart technology is crucial for the everyday public to remain informed, I think that there is a world people are closed off to when they don’t use it simply because so many have chosen to join that public. The iPad will help us to understand that public – even if we don’t plan to permanently be a part.