Why I am Not Watching the Third Debate Right Now

I could be sitting in front of the TV right now watching the third and final presidential debate before the election takes place in a little over two weeks.

But where would it get me?

I sat through the entirety of the first two debates and paid attention to most of both. I was sort of disgusted by the lack of information I felt I had attained by the time each of them ended.

The most recent debate, that took place last Tuesday, had both candidates rubbing me the wrong way from the beginning. A 20-year-old college student asked the candidates how each of them could assure him that he would be able to find a job upon his graduation. They both answered the question without actually giving an answer. Mitt Romney sad several times that he had a plan to put in place to ensure that the young student would be able to find employment. My family and I were literally shouting at the TV, “Okay, so what is this plan?!!” (For the record, my parents are both undecided voters, so it’s not like they had a predetermined anti-Romney stance on the debate).

Plain and simple, it’s really annoying to try to decipher information when all two people are really doing is 1) repeating what the other person said; 2) bringing up things the other person said in the past; 3) arguing with the other person; and 4) arguing with the moderator. Somehow, I managed to make up my mind about who I am voting for based off of the last debate, but it was mostly to do with the way the candidates conducted themselves, as opposed to the actual issues our country faces.

We talk all the time in this class about what type of information the public needs, what type they get, and what type they deserve. If you ask me, these debates don’t present the public with the type of information they need, and they definitely deserve better.