Twitter: The New Age of Tracking Elections

Last night, just was we all did during the presidential debates, we stalked the election via Twitter. The Massachusetts senate seat election in particular was highly followed race because of what was on the line. If Elizabeth Warren was elected, then she would be the first women elected into the Senate in the state of MA, ever. She was indeed elected, and the history of MA senate race was changed forever.

Back to Twitter though, twitter was exploding on election day. Even though there are many other reliable sources via the internet such as the updates by CNN or NBC, twitter is a different kind of outlet  that is more accessible to a general public, especially young college voters. Many college students (such as myself) do not have televisions in their dorm rooms, and the alternative to tracking the election, other than the TV, is the internet. As I walked in the front entrance of LaFortune , I was hit by a buzz of  political college students assembling together, accompanied by pizza boxes and star bucks cups,  to watch the presidential election. I also noticed twitter up on a lot of different computers. Now even though many of the students were watching a projected screen of the NBC coverage of the election as well, they were also referencing twitter. I myself, as I proceeded to the basement to study in quiet, pulled up my twitter newsfeed and kept it minmized in the bottom of the screen, accessible for whenever I wanted to have a reliable update of the election. As I watched the coverage in the state of MA, news teams and media figures alike were also on twitter.

WCVB Boston tweeted many live updates from their Live Wire Blog. This blog had every single new election update, retweets from politico, CNN, and NBC as well as some of their own tweets and pictures such as Romney and his family voting in Belmont, MA. WBZ a Fox affiliate in the Boston area was also on twitter, tweeting live updates for the Senate Race in Springfield, tweets such as “Warren crowd now chanting her name. Waiting for her to speak.” and updates on the legalization of medical marijuana in the state of MA. Again, even though twitter is viewed by many journalists as a colloquial and un-professional type of news source, I got most of my election information from twitter, as I assume many others did. I believe that in general, we are looking at the future of election day, and personally I do not see it as completely dim.