Project 1 Reflection

*************************************************************************************************************

Project 1 Reflection

My group members and I did our best to write a code of ethics concerning our careers in computer science. It’s impossible to write an all-encompassing document that will be relevant to every experience one has in their job, but we did our best to be specific and cover a wide variety of topics. Here are some highlights:

• Engage in work only to help others
  • Include self-reflection in your career
  • Help others achieve
  • Learn, as well as you can, what you need to
  • Work on yourself

These points bring up important issues for any employed individual. The focus is both on the benefits coming from your work and how you are managing yourself. Both of these points are incredibly significant to working morally. Focusing on others and working to benefit them is paramount to a morally sound and fulfilling career. This is what we are taught to do since birth. Additionally, self-reflecting and consistently judging oneself is important to remind oneself of the reason for working and helping others. Without self-reflection, it’s east to get lost in a world rotating around yourself.

Of course, our document doesn’t cover everything. If we wanted to, the letter would be longer than a dictionary. So naturally, there are weak points. We focus strongly on Catholicism because of the moral foundation it provides. However, this excludes many people from our code. Many non-Catholic people might not be able to connect with our code as well as we want them to. We can’t address this though; this is a compromise we have to make. As students of Notre Dame, this is an identity we’re proud of and want to include no matter what. Another weakness in the document is the focus on oneself. There are several passages that ask people to reflect and work on themselves. This is important to include, since benefiting others involves keeping yourself healthy and whole. But in a document that strives to focus on work for others, the focus on oneself might be a little heavy. To remedy this, lengthening the document and adding an additional section on “Benefiting Society” could be done. While the additional length is not optimal, the additional clarity from the passage might help add focus to other people.

Writing down a code of ethics to have as a reference is always useful. As is mentioned in the document, it is often easy to dive into your work and lose focus of why you are doing what you do. Writing this code down does two things: it helps to remind you of the worker you want to become, and it serves as a reference for the future. Additionally, often times people have a general idea of their own code of ethics, but never do anything to nail it down. This puts into reality the code that I want to abide by. The words and statements in this code are things I have verified in my own work, things I refuse to back down from. As I enter the workforce, this is how I want to shape my career. In this sense, I’m glad I have a physical reference to help guide me through the next chapter of my life.