“Twelfth Night” Fall 2024 Tour: Entry #2

By Shona Babayemi

Alpha Psi Omega!

Being a honorary member of Alpha Psi Omega (APO), the theatre fraternity, is like being knighted with a prop sword – you get all the valour, camaraderie, and recognition, minus the heavy armour or weird initiation ceremonies. It’s not just about memorising lines or hitting your mark; it’s about wearing the invisible crown of theatrical brilliance, where every rehearsal feels like a royal decree to entertain. Whether you’re a spotlight-stealing lead or the unsung hero backstage, joining APO means you’re officially part of an elite squad of thespians who really know the bond you share with fellow creatives, the humans who laugh with you in the wings and cheer for you from the front row. In APO, the stage isn’t just a place to act – it’s where lifelong friendships are forged in the glow of shared stories, late-night rehearsals, and the knowledge that, together, you’re part of something truly special.

And then there’s Merlin. Merlin, the tree for theatre students at Valparaiso University, holds a special significance beyond its status as a campus landmark. The Merlin Tree serves as a central meeting point for theatre students, where they can gather before rehearsals, share ideas, and bond over their love for the arts; including reading Shakespeare under the stars! We gathered under there to share a moment with all the theatre lovers and learned the devastating news that the tree is being taken down. But no, in an act of defiance the students are rallying together to save the tree and the legacy it leaves behind. With a couple of charged months ahead as we enter October and then, knotty November, that simple act of courage, defiance and strength, standing in the truth of what you believe in will be with remain with me.

I had the pleasure of working with the cast and crew of Valparaiso’s production of Let the Right One In (click the link to buy tickets!). The perfect play for spooky season with an endlessly energetic cast. I’m gutted to miss the show, so please check it out for me if you’re in the area! We ran around on the beautiful stage for a couple of hours practicing behaviour and learning to balance space as performers with our bodies. The workshop ran over an hour and if I could I would have stayed another two!

I look back on a week of ascension as we arrived at Valpo as mere mortals and head back into downtown Chicago as APO to absorb everything that robust and endlessly electrifying city has to offer. Including to name but a few: deep dish pizza, Millennium Park, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago Riverwalk, the architectural boat tour, the very Fine Arts Building, Wrigley Field, Chicago Cultural Center, Buddy Guys, Chinatown, American Blues Theatre…

I could keep going but we would be here – Oh THE BEAN, how could I forget THE BEAN! (Officially called Cloud Gate) – all day. I digress. I’ve never wanted to relentlessly “complete” a city in such a voracious way. I fear I dream of the impossible and will inevitably be back!