Final Essay Assignment

“The Anguish of the Novice Monk Alyosha”

In a miraculous development, the novice monk, Alyosha Karamazov, has come back to life in the 2`1st century.  Although the world has changed in countless ways, he still labors under the weight of his brother Ivan’s rant about the evil lurking within the human soul.  Worse still, Alyosha has rejoined the human race at a time when information is pouring in about Russia’s continuing war crimes, such as those in the Ukrainian city, Bucha.

Thus, Ivan’s challenge to his faith rings through his ears one more time. How could a merciful God allow for such horror?  For that matter, why should one worship a God who shows such indifference to human suffering? Alyosha cries out: “Oh, humanity! Is there no room left for hope that we might still treat each with decency and goodness!”

Wracked by a loss of faith in his Creator, Alyosha returns to his old cell. There, he is surprised to find three works that could offer lessons about finding hope in dark times:  Roy Scranton’s, “Raising my Child in a Doomed World”; Jean-Paul Sartre’s “The Wall,” and Samuel Sheffler’s, “The Importance of the Afterlife.”

Alyosha angrily shoves his Bible into the bottom drawer of his desk and slowly reads each of these pieces in search of a more satisfactory source of consolation about the human condition.

In a world where God seems to be absent, which one of these three writers will offer Alyosha the most persuasive guidance about finding hope in when unspeakable atrocities, such as those in Bucha, still occur?

Please respond to this question in a typed, double-spaced essay of no more than five (5) pages. You should consider all three these authors’ perspectives.

To ensure that Alyosha is not confused, you must choose one–and only one–of the articles. In each case, you will need to address not only the similarities but also the differences among the three writers’ approaches. In thinking about these differences, you may find it helpful to imagine expressing each writer’s position in a nutshell.

Important advice: Re-read my Tips as well as my comments on your earlier papers before writing this paper.

The Honor Code to which you have affixed your signature applies! Since this is your final essay, please do not discuss it with your classmates.  Your essay and argument must be absolutely, completely, and unmistakably your own work. Of course, there are exceptions. You can always discuss this assignment with me during my office hours. I will also be delighted to comment on your first draft paragraph and the first line of the second paragraph if you send your draft to me by this Saturday, May 4. In addition, you should definitely visit the Writing Center. Set up an appointment now as demand will be high!

Your paper should have a title. Don’t forget to put your name on it.

As always, I recommend that you begin writing and rewriting this essay immediately. Naturally, my expectations are not unreasonable. I simply request that you compose the 5 best pages of prose that you have ever written in your life.

NOTE:  You should send your essay directly to me by email (amcadams@nd.edu) as a Word document. Do not count on me reading it if it is in your folder

Your paper is due no later than Thursday, May 9, at 10:30am. Because time is short, I will only provide extensions if you provide a doctor’s written excuse.

Naturally, please feel free to submit your essay earlier.

The Registrar gives me a short time window by which I must submit my grades. Thus, if you would like me to provide you with detailed comments on your essay, I will be pleased to send them to you later.  Just let me know.

It has been a pleasure working with you. I hope I will see more of you down the road.

Good luck!

AJM