Historical What-Ifs

I was struck during the course of our discussions this week by the notion of what-ifs. Particularly, the frustrating insatiability and subtle optimism of historical what-ifs. It is so tempting to dwell on these hypotheticals when reflecting on the numerous tragic events that seemingly drastically changed the course of history. Particularly relevant to the study of 68 are the killings of Abraham Lincoln, Medgar Evers, Bobby Kennedy, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X.

On one hand, I find it infuriating to think of how the world might be different, probably better, if evil had not snuffed out the lives of these men. Sometimes I find myself grasping for this idea that our problems would be gone if Lincoln and King had lived longer and been able to finish what they started. And I do think America would probably be a more just and peaceful place if we’d had more time with them. Would it be perfect? I don’t think we can say that with any certainty.

But on the other hand, I sometimes find a strange sense of reassurance in these historical what-ifs. I want to believe that we as a people can still change, even without the great men we’ve lost. I take comfort in the thought that all over the country, young people are reading the works of Lincoln and King, two men gifted with unparalleled eloquence, and becoming inspired to pick up the torch. I want to believe that America is great not only because of a few specific people, but because of the many who will rise up to take us to the promised land in their absence.

3 Replies to “Historical What-Ifs”

1. This is really interesting and I agree that in a way although we can have many what-if questions, I do have a sense of optimism that we can continue to build off of what MLK and others began and continue to work towards their ideals and vision for the future. I imagine what-if scenarios and think maybe if MLK wasn’t assassinated, the movement would’ve taken different turns and make different kinds of progress. It is so hard to imagine what the climate would’ve been like with his continuing days and how we would read “I See the Promised Land” if not as a prophetic letter. I’m optimistic that we are still following his charge and seeking his vision while wondering how this quest would’ve looked differently if he lived longer. Ultimately, we can think of what-ifs, but the only thing we can change are our choices and how we seek to live out his legacy in the present.

2. I think that it is so interesting to think about how certain events would have unfolded differently had these people remained in positions of power or influence for a longer amount of time, but I also think it is necessary to look at the effect that these events did have on the progression of civil rights when they did happen. MLK’s death led to a series of riots that did not cease until the Civil Rights Act of 1968 was passed, so in some way, it did still benefit the movement. These event are still incredibly sad and evil, but the movement did not need a single leader to complete it, but all of the people who are part of the movement to work together for the cause.

3. Obviously there’s no way to know for sure what would’ve happened if King and Malcolm X weren’t assassinated, but what do you think would’ve happened if they weren’t killed? Do you think society would’ve advanced quicker than it did towards total integration? Do you think – in a terrible sort of way – that their assassinations boosted their movements by shining even more light on the evil of their oppressors?