Religious Divide

In reading and hearing from McCann I was struck most by the religious divide. I had always known that Northern Ireland was predominantly protestant and the Republic of Ireland was Catholic, but I did not know the extent to which this contributed to the troubles that occurred. I feel that this is something that we take for granted in the United States. While religious discrimination most certainly still exists, I feel that religious communities are pretty well integrated. That is, people of every religion live, work, and form relationships with each other. I was especially surprised that the religious discrimination came between different sects of Christians. From my personal background I have never experienced any Christian who felt that their sect was superior to any other. Further, I have never encountered any Christian who even seemed to care what denomination other Christians were. Perhaps this is unique to my experience, but I feel that in general Christians feel closely enough related in their beliefs that there is little quarrel between them. Additionally, I was also surprised to learn that the conclusion of the troubles in Derry did not resolve the religious divide. It shows just how much the Irish align themselves to their religious views. Religious participation in the United States, by contrast, has declined steadily over the years to the point where I have never personally witnessed religious discrimination— individuals with strong beliefs simply seem to be more rare. McCann wrote about how peace was mostly brought about due to the people not having the stomach to continue the slaughter. It seems to me that this peace was shoddily struck and a true conclusion to the separation of Ireland has never occurred. There remain calls for a united Ireland yet many in Northern Ireland remain loyal to the UK. It is a wonder whether there will ever be a resolution to this seemingly forever ongoing division. I am curious to see if religious communities in Ireland will set aside their differences and begin to coalesce as the religious of the United States seemingly have. Will the Protestants of the north and the Catholics of the south make up and form a united Ireland?

2 Replies to “Religious Divide”

1. I find it interesting that you bring up religious discrimination and how in the U.S. we take for granted our freedom of religion. In the U.S, we connect with people of our religion and of other religions and don’t think anything of it. In other countries, like Ireland, the ability to form these relationships and connections is difficult due to the tension in conflicting views. In order to form a more united Ireland, people must accept the conflicting views and learn to accept differences.

2. I think you bring up a good point here that reflects the change in society over the past 50 years. Religion has lost a lot of significance in the United States and I do not think that Ireland is far behind. With this said, the divide between Protestants and Catholics in Ireland runs deep, and the healing process between the two groups will likely take some time. In due time, I believe the issues that were fought over in the 60s will fade away and eventually Ireland will come together. When will this happen? We don’t know, but in a society that has been continually devaluing religion over the past 50 years, I think it is very likely that a time will come around when Catholics and protestants are able to bury that hatchet and unite.