Parallels

For whatever reason it was much more difficult for me to understand the parallels between 1968 America and Ireland through our previous readings. Uptight and the Informer had similarities, but I couldn’t help but feel a great juxtaposition between the two conflicts. Some of the major themes held true, but I still had reservations about them being drawn together. Mojo Mickybo helped me to realize this much better though. Perhaps it’s due to the accumulation of knowledge I’ve had at this point in the class, or maybe it has something to do with the text itself. The characterization and ongoings of the plot somehow better clicked for me. I think a big piece of what made things more clear is how Mojo Mickybo depicts the oppression of Irish Catholics. The two opposing sides of Belfast have many similarities with the efforts of civil rights in America. Having seen the movie and read the play, I think I’m much better equipped to understand the whole of the situation and how these two events are quite connected. Our most recent reading, The Pentecost, even makes direct reference to MLK and the ongoings at the time in America