Reading 03

Computer gaming and console gaming are overall very similar to one another, they are done on two different machines that function very similarly. The advantage of computer games over console games is that the personal computer is more capable of handling a larger variety of different games and supporting software. The person savvy with a personal computer can not only play a variety of games, but customize a computer to fit their needs with games. A console on the other hand has an advantage in its compactness and ability to be instantly set up and played with the use of a television or monitor. Choosing between using a computer or console to play games is largely dependent on personal preference. When I play games, I usually prefer my personal computer. The main reason for this is because it’s what’s most available to me, in which I would have my personal computer for work anyway. Furthermore, I use a form of software that can be used to transfer games I already own from one computer to another, so I don’t lose my games when I need to update my computer.

A disadvantage I found to consoles is that more often than not, old games from the same company aren’t always backwards compatible with new consoles. The was an issue with early Nintendo system, but not necessarily so now. Furthermore, if someone wanted to keep up with the games a company put out, they would also have to keep up with the current consoles of the company. There is a sort of disadvantage to PC gaming, which is the lack of a plug and play nature that is otherwise present in console games. PC games usually take the extra steps of manipulating software and game environments while consoles games have more tactile and ergonomic setups.

As far as particular games go, I would say that first person and third person games are more better suited for consoles. These types of games are better played with console controllers and large viewing sets, these are more associated with consoles than personal computers. While larger sets and video game controllers can be used with modern PC’s, controllers come and are optimized for consoles. Also, if a first person game is competitive multiplayer, consoles affirm that identical hardware is used by all players involved so that no one player is liable to bog play because of inferior hardware on one side or another.

On the other hand real time strategy, economic games, and other sufficiently complex games are more well suited to PC environments. The main reason for why I think this is because a keyboard environment allows for the huge degree of controls necessary for some of these games. Also because there is a larger variety of personal computers and customizable desktops, the needs for complex games can be scaled with the computer used.

I tried some cool DOS games.

The first one I tried was The Oregon Trail, it’s a really neat resources management and travel game with a brutally punishing system. Decisions have to be made from available options and current resources, there can be unforeseen consequences that impact you in the long run.

The next game I played was Prince of Persia, it was a puzzle platformer but the gameplay was something new to me because I wasn’t as familiar with the sort of discrete and flighty movements that the character was controlled with. Overall it was a really cool and intriguing game, one I am definitely revisiting later.

The last game I played was Wolfenstein 3D, which was one of the few first games that attempted a first person shooter setup. Its not true first person shooter though because lateral character movement is non-existent. It’s really cool none the less and a very interesting piece of game history.