Welcome to the CSLC!

We are happy you’re a part of the Notre Dame language learning enterprise. This site has two purposes: 1) to serve as the “homework” blog for the Peer Tutoring Training Course 2) to make announcements that pertain to the CSLC Peer Tutoring program.

We’re grateful that you’re a part of our team, and we look forward to a great year with you!

One thought on “Welcome to the CSLC!

1. Though this may be obvious to some, the three approaches to develop language teaching methods give me a clear outline on how to focus tutoring a second (third or fourth) language. This is how I believe I learned Arabic. In fact, my prior Spanish language experience, my study abroad in Jordan experience, and my experience learning from 5 different Arabic instructors all make me a better linguist. All of these work together and support each other, just like Wilson suggests his approaches should.

Furthermore, I found it interesting that his article addressed adult learning. Adult learning, especially in another language, is very different than child language-aquisition… or so I thought. Wilson’s article mentioned that it is not unlike the way a child learns, and that it is subconscious as well. Though it may take more time for an adult to become fluent, they have to go through it the same way as a child. In order to become comfortable, one must develop a “feel” for the language, as Wilson states. This is entirely true in my experience. Though I do understand a lot of grammatical rules, it really comes down to saying what feels right in many of my normal conversations with Arabic speakers. After time and practice I have discovered more of a natural way to speak, and that is how I want my students to feel. Of course, I want to focus on grammar in the early years, but making them more comfortable in speaking with what they do know is important, as this article supports.