Adapting to Campus

by Thomas La, USA

Hi! My name is Thomas La and I am from Houston, TX.  I am currently a senior Psychology and pre-professional major and I hope to go to dental school after ND.

My time at Notre Dame has been great so far.  Although I am an American citizen, my parents came to the USA from Vietnam so I can identify a bit with international students.  Coming to ND, I will admit I had a preconceived notion of what I thought it was going to be like, specifically with regard to diversity and culture on campus.  I had heard that ND was a homogenous school that catered mostly to a specific crowd of students, namely wealthy, white Catholics.  However, upon arriving at ND for frosh-o and my first week of college, my expectations were blown away.  Everyone here is so welcoming and kind, it is not hard to find your place.  There is something for everyone, whether you are Asian, White, Catholic, Muslim, man, woman, etc.  True, you may have to dig a little deeper, but I promise you there is something here for you.  Whether it is a cultural club, a team sport, or a hobby, there are people here that have the same interests as you.

New international students – I realize that adapting can be tough.  I urge you to embrace your new Notre Dame family and talk to everyone around you.  ND has such a great support network.   I wish you the best in the upcoming years!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by ISSA. Bookmark the permalink.

About ISSA

International Student Services & Activities, also known as ISSA, supports and advises the international student community at the University of Notre Dame. ISSA staff members are deeply committed to fostering a campus environment that welcomes the international student community and promotes cross-cultural interaction and understanding.