Reading05: Whistleblowing

From the readings regarding Boeing’s handling of their computer security employees and the ensuing whistleblowers, it seems as if Boeing’s interactions with their computer security employees was not ethical.  As the readings stated several times, the two whistleblowers were “trying to save the company” and also looking out for the best interest of the shareholders of Boeing, as the data and privacy of Boeing’s clients would be in grave danger under the current circumstances.  I believe that Boeing could have handled this situation better.  If I were one of these potential whistleblowers, I would have gone to the company first and spoken to my manager or another higher-up about the potential computer and data security issues that I had found, and I believe that most people would do the same.  If these whistleblowers did this, and were still told that Boeing would not be doing anything about the issue, then Boeing is completely at fault and these whistleblowers were ethical in their decision to go public about this potentially disastrous issue.  I believe this because I believe that ethically we must look out for the general public and for the stakeholders in any product that we oversee at our occupation.  These employees were doing just that in finding and reporting an issue that would compromise the safety and privacy of a great number of people.  They were ethically responsible in reporting this to their higher ups and making sure that there were other people in the company that knew about this issue.  However, if they did not report this issue to other individuals within Boeing and instead went straight to the media, then I believe that this is completely unethical by these whistleblowers.  I believe that, while this issue is definitely very problematic, the company should have at least had a chance to fix this issue without anyone outside of the company knowing and also leaving a very shady reputation about both the company and the computer security department.  If these whistleblowers did go straight to the media and the Seattle PI report was the first that both the company and the computer security department had heard about this issue, then I believe that Boeing was completely in their right to fire these two employees as they did not have a chance to fix an issue with their system without these two employees relaying this to the media.  With regards to whether these two employees should be protected under the Whistleblower protection laws set in place, I believe that the same issue should be looked at.  I believe that if the company was aware of this issue and still said that they did not want to fix the issue, then I believe that these whistleblowers should be protected under these laws.  I also believe that if the company was unaware and not given the opportunity to fix this issue, then I believe that these employees should not have been protected under the Whistleblower protection laws and that Boeing was entirely within their right to fire them.