Violence without Borders : The Internationalization of Crime and Conflict, (with Muhammad Faisal Ali Baig, Quy-Toan Do, Daniel Garrote-Sanchez, Chau Le, and Andrei Levchenko), Policy Research Report, Washington, DC: World Bank, 2020.
Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance in Emerging Markets, World Scientific Publishing, 2016.
- “Religion and Abortion: The Role of Politician Identity.” (with Sonia Bhalotra and Irma Clots-FIgueras), Journal of Development Economics, 153: 102746, November 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2021.102746.
- “Leader Identity and Coordination.” (with Sonia Bhalotra, Irma Clots-Figueras and Joseph Vecci), Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
- “Economic Transition and Private-Sector Labor: Evidence from Urban China.” (with Xin Meng, Nancy Qian and Xiaoxue Zhao), Journal of Comparative Economics 47(3): 579-600, 2019.
- “The Road Not Taken: Gender Gaps along Paths to Political Power.” (with Anandi Mani), World Development 119: 68-80, 2019.
- “Pathbreakers? Women’s Electoral Success and Future Political Participation.” (with Sonia Bhalotra and Irma Clots-Figueras), The Economic Journal 128 (613): 1844-1878, 2018. Online Appendix.
- “Religion, Politician Identity and Development Outcomes: Evidence from India.” (with Sonia Bhalotra,Guilhem Cassan and Irma Clots-Figueras), Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 104:4-17, 2014.
- “Caste and Entrepreneurship in India.” (with Tarun Khanna and Ashutosh Varshney), Economic and Political Weekly 48 (6): 52-60, February 9, 2013.
- “The Power of Political Voice: Women’s Political Representation and Crime in India.” (with Anandi Mani, Prachi Mishra and Petia Topalova), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 4(4): 165-193, October 2012.
- Pre-publication version, Online Appendix, Non-technical summary
- Media: HBS Working Knowledge, Tehelka.com, Ei Samay, The Globe and Mail, Wall Street Journal, The Statesman, Deccan Herald, Livemint, Business Standard, Apolitical.
- Secretary Clinton at the Women in Public Service Project and Colloquium (minutes 35:00-37:00)
- “Traveling Agents: Political Change and Bureaucratic Turnover in India.” (with Anandi Mani) Review of Economics and Statistics 94(3): 723-739, August 2012.
- “Direct versus Indirect Colonial Rule in India: Long-term Consequences.” Review of Economics and Statistics 92(4): 693-713, 2010. Lead article
- “Geography, Poverty and Conflict in Nepal.” (with Quy-Toan Do) Journal of Peace Research 47(6): 735-748, 2010.
- “Land Titling and Rural Transition in Vietnam.” (with Quy-Toan Do) Economic Development and Cultural Change 56(3): 531-579, 2008.
- “History, Institutions and Economic Performance: the Legacy of Colonial Land Tenure Systems in India.” (with Abhijit Banerjee) American Economic Review 95(4): 1190-1213, 2005.
- Winner of the inaugural Michael Wallerstein Award by the Political Economy Section of the American Political Science Association.
- “History, Social Divisions and Public Goods in Rural India.” (with Abhijit Banerjee and Rohini Somanathan) Journal of the European Economic Association 3(2-3): 639-647, 2005.
- “Direct versus Indirect Colonial Rule in India.” in The Long Economic and Political Shadow of History Volume 2 edited by Stelios Michalopoulos and Elias Papaioannou, CEPR VoxEU E-book, 2017.
- “The Long Run Consequences of Colonial Institutions.” in A New Economic History of Colonial India edited by Latika Chaudhary, Bishnupriya Gupta, Tirthankar Roy and Anand Swamy, Routledge, 2015.
- “Mental Health in the Aftermath of Conflict.” (with Quy-Toan Do), in Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Peace and Conflict edited by Michelle Garfinkel and Stergios Skaperdas, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- “Managing Conflict.” in Reshaping Tomorrow: Is South Asia Ready for the Big Leap? edited by Ejaz Ghani,Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “Colonial Land Tenure, Electoral Competition, and Public Goods in India.” (with Abhijit Banerjee) In Natural Experiments of History, edited by Jared Diamond and James Robinson. Harvard University Press, 2010.
- “Is Decentralization Helping the Lagging Regions?” (with Ejaz Ghani and Saurabh Mishra), in The Poor Half Billion in South Asia edited by Ejaz Ghani, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Are Lagging Regions Catching Up with Leading Regions?” (with Ejaz Ghani and Saurabh Mishra), in The Poor Half Billion in South Asia edited by Ejaz Ghani, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- “Public Action for Public Goods: Theory and Evidence.” (with Abhijit Banerjee and Rohini Somanathan) In Handbook of Development Economics Vol. 4, edited by T. Paul Schultz and John Strauss. Elsevier Science & Technology Books, 2008. NBER Working Paper 12911.
- “Upholding Human Dignity Amid COVID-19 and Economic Collapse,” (with Angelina Soriano Nuncio, Eduardo Pages Jimenez and Imre Gabor Holtzer), Keough School Dignity and Development blog, July 28, 2021.
- “Understanding the Ideas Behind the 2019 Nobel Prize in Economics,” All Else Equal podcast, September 2020.
- “The Faith Factor: Reflections from a Recent Conference on Religion, Public Policy and Development in South Asia,” (with Susan Ostermann), Maydan, May 28, 2019.
- “The Electoral Participation of Women.” Yojana Magazine, July 14, 2014.
- “Response to `A Re-examination of Banerjee and Iyer’ by Iversen, Palmer-Jones and Sen.” (with Abhijit Banerjee), Journal of Development Studies 49(12): 1647-1650, 2013.
- “Creating Jobs in South Asia’s Conflict Zones.” (with Indhira Santos), World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 6104, June 2012.
- Non-technical summary: World Bank Let’s Talk Development Blog.
- “The Political Economy of Public Service Provision in South Asia.” in People, Politics and Globalization: Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics — Global 2009 edited by Justin Yifu Lin and Boris Pleskovic, The World Bank, 2010.
- Review of Economic Cooperation between Singapore and India: An alliance in the Making? by Faizal bin Yahya, South Asian Review, December 2008
- Review of Understanding Civil War: Volumes 1 and 2 by Paul Collier and Nicholas Sambanis, Journal of Economic Literature, March 2007.