Reunion 2013

No sooner have we bid farewell to ND’s newest graduates than we welcome back Alumni for Reunion. Everyone is happy even though many are a bit lost at first. Even the class of ’08 saw many new buildings since they were students. One ’08 alum asked me, “What’s that big building where the Morris Inn used to be?” I explained, “that IS the Morris Inn.”

It’s great to see old friends reconnecting and re-living good times. A few of my takeaways from this year’s Reunion:

–Wow, the class of ’08 came out in force!
–Monk Malloy is a 50 year? Really? And Fr. Hesburgh is doing so well at age 96…makes     me think that being Notre Dame President is a low-stress, easy job! (Just kidding, Fr.  Jenkins!)
–There are some good “behind the scenes” stories on how the movie “Rudy” was almost NOT made.
–The weather Friday night was, shall we say, interesting. (But that’s a future blog post…)

– Matt Cashore

Here are some visual highlights of the weekend:

Friends reunite on Main Quad.

Friends reunite on Main Quad.

Alums often find their dorms have switched sex, or aren't dorms at all.

Alums often find their dorms have switched sex, or aren’t dorms at all.

The filmmakers behind "Rudy" reveal how close the film came to not being made.

The filmmakers behind “Rudy” reveal how close the film came to not being made.

The 50-year club enjoys their class dinner in the Purcell Pavilion…

…while the 5-year club packs Club Naimoli.

It rained overnight but cleared up in time for the picnic on the Library Quad.

Rev. Tom Blantz, C.S.C. gave a campus history lesson in DeBartolo Saturday afternoon.

50-year-club member Rev. Monk Malloy gives a blessing at the Reunion Mass.

Sabor Latino got together for the first time in 15 years to cap off the evening at Legends.

See more Reunion 2013 Gallery here

2 thoughts on “Reunion 2013

1. Matt – I’ve been admiring your photos for a year, and just noticed elsewhere that you took one of me and my Siegfried ’93 friends at the ND Women Connect event Saturday. I’m so excited that you took our picture, but sorry that you were five feet away and I didn’t get to meet you. Next time! Your photos are brilliant and a gift to the whole extended ND community. Thank you 🙂

2. My brother, John, graduated in 1972 from ND, and died in 1980 from melanoma cancer which had spread quickly. He adored ND and his four younger sisters and parents, Ed and Arlene, loved visiting and getting to as many football games as we could. I’m so happy I found this site so I can reminisce about the happy times we had with had with John and his friends, Phil, Tom, Dorn, Rich and sooooo many others. Even though I was 8 years younger than them they still made me feel like one of the gang. And now that I’m catching up with them (age-wise) I’ve loved that they’ve kept in touch with me and my Mom. ND produces fine, young men! Thank you for that!