First Essay Assignment

I decide to host a sumptuous dinner at Notre Dame’s fine new restaurant, Chickfil-A®. I invite two old friends, James Madison and John Dewey, whom I have miraculously brought back to life, as well as my newest friend, you, to join me.

As we enter the luxurious Maison de Duncan, I ask my undead friends if they want me to wear a mask. Both profess to have no concerns, noting that they have already been dead once, so they are not concerned about dying a second time. (However, they are horrified that many Americans still refuse to take a global pandemic seriously). For the first hour or so, I am mesmerized as my guests discuss some of the most pressing questions facing humanity—How should we respond to global warming? Will social media destroy democracy? When will the final season of ‘Better call Saul’ be released? But then, I make a mistake.  Since Madison has had the chance to catch up on the latest, greatest works, I invite him to share his thoughts about Dewey’s “Search for the Great Community.” Immediately, I see both philosophers tense up.

Madison begins:  “Well, John, I have been reading about your idea of a Great Community.  To be honest, I find it hopelessly utopian.  Not only is it impossible to implement your proposal.  More importantly, by putting the idea of community first in your thinking, you have demonstrated that you totally fail to understand the ‘nature of man.’  Your ignorance of this fact will almost certainly undermine the conception of liberal democracy that you wish to defend.  Before we can even begin to talk about community, we must put effective institutions into place and recognize the importance of ‘delegating the government to a small number of citizens elected by the rest.’”

Dewey responds: “Well, James….” he pauses ominously, “up to this point in our conversation, I felt like we were like-minded thinkers. However, you have totally misunderstood my position—perhaps even willfully!  In fact, I take offense that you would call me utopian! Despite what you say, all human beings are quite capable of working together in search of a common good. To be frank–and we are being frank at this point, James–your proposal to create a ‘well-constructed Union’ will lead you to do everything backward. ‘Only when we start from a community as a fact, grasp the fact in thought so as to clarify and enhance its constituent elements can we reach an idea of democracy which is not utopian.’”

I am stupefied by this exchange. How is it possible that these two celebrated thinkers who represent many of the greatest ideals of American democracy should take such different views?  It’s not as if they are throwing the cutlery–something that has taken place at my other dinner parties.  I simply want them to get along and, ideally, agree to join me for future gatherings.

Logically, Madison and Dewey can’t both be right.  Indeed, I am convinced that one of the two arguments is absolutely correct and the other entirely wrong. Not wanting to alienate either of my guests, however, I decide to pass the buck to you.  Well, my new friend, who is right, James or John? And please don’t equivocate.  I would like you to defend the views of one of my guests and, in the process, persuade the other one that he is wrong.  Your success in this assignment will play a large role in determining whether I invite you to future meals at the Maison de Duncan!

Assignment 

I have designed this assignment to allow you to teach yourself while you are thinking and writing. The skill of persuasion will be useful throughout your remaining year at ND and beyond.

In framing your assignment as I have done above, I seek to challenge you to make and defend an argument. A persuasive argument always has three features: 1) a clear and concise statement about the issue at hand; 2) an equally clear and concise statement of where you stand; and 3) an explanation of your reasons for taking this position rather than its rival. As every good epidemiologist, climate scientist, military commander, and football coach knows, a successful argument or strategy must anticipate the counterargument or counterstrategy that someone will raise against it. In the case of this assignment, this means that you should persuade one  of the great philosophers why he is wrong by countering each of his likely assumptions.

I will evaluate your essay according to three criteria: the clarity and consistency of your argument; your use of readings and discussions to back up your points concretely; and, importantly, your demonstrated ability to think for yourself.  Remember:  if you are not sure what you are saying, I will not be sure what you are saying either. Explain yourself and do so in the clearest possible fashion! Remember Orwell (WWOS?).

When referring to your readings, feel free to use any simple citation form (e.g., author and page). It is fine to use short quotations, but indicate why you are using them. Quotations do not speak for themselves.

Finally, don’t forget the Shaker hymn: “ ‘tis a joy to be simple . . .”  State your argument boldly; justify it in a logical fashion; when you are done, stop.

The Honor Code to which you have affixed your signature applies! It is fine with me if you discuss this assignment with your classmates. However, your essay and argument must be absolutely, completely, and unmistakably your own work. For this reason, unless you are consulting with someone at the Writing Center or with me.  And please do take advantage of these opportunities! 

I will be glad to comment on your introductory paragraph and the first sentence of your second paragraph if you send your draft to me soon. I am likely to have less time closer to the deadline.

Your essay should be no more than four (4) pages. It should have a carefully chosen title. Please double space the essay and use 12 point. Don’t forget to put your name on it.

Please adhere to every word of these guidelines as well as my Tips for Great Writing. Over the decades, it has been amazing to me how difficult it is to get universal cooperation on these simple rules.  If you do not follow my request, you will hear me scream across campus. You may even find that I send your essay back to you.

My expectations are not unreasonable.  I simply request that you write the best essay you have ever written in your life.

Your essay is due by next Thursday, February 24 at 9:00am.  Please feel free to turn it in earlier.

Have fun!